news and updates
Find news and updates as it relates to AIS in South Dakota here.
- September 19, 2019
- Zebra Mussel Public Information Meeting This information was presented at a public meeting at Arrowwood Resort in Oacoma, SD on September 19, 2019.
- August 22, 2019
- Zebra Mussel Public Service Announcement Governor Kristi Noem discusses the importance of preventing the spread of zebra mussels.
- August 2, 2019
- Slowing the Spread of Zebra Mussels Governor Kristi Noem's weekly column discusses zebra mussels and why it is important to slow their spread.
- July 12, 2019
- Zebra Mussels in Lake Sharpe South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks has confirmed the presence of zebra mussels in Lake Sharpe.
- December 13, 2018 South Dakota Invasive Mussel Summit
- July 2, 2018
Young Zebra Mussels Detected at Cunningham Lake
Microscopic young zebra mussels, known as veligers, recently were detected by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission in a water sample collected at Glenn Cunningham Lake in late May. No adult zebra mussels were found in the lake.
- March 4, 2018
Clamping Down | L & C Park to Boost Zebra Mussel Efforts
Zebra mussels are now a fact of life for the Lewis and Clark Recreation Area, and conservation officers are ramping up their containment efforts for the upcoming season.
- February 24, 2017
Feb. 27 - March 3 is National Invasive Species Awareness Week
Invasive species cause over $100 billion in economic losses annually in the United States.
- January 25, 2017
New and modified South Dakota AIS Regulations
The GFP Commission recently proposed new AIS rules and modifications to the existing rules in an effort to target the most likely ways that these species are moved from lake to lake. Two current AIS rules have also been modified to ensure that anglers and boaters have the opportunity to easily comply with the regulations.
The South Dakota invasive Mussel Summit was a highly educational event that featured numerous discussions. These discussions can be found below.
2018 South Dakota AIS Communications Plan
Cedar Knox Rural Water Project
Treatment for Mussels in Irrigation Pipelines
AIS in South Dakota
Dealing with Zebra Mussels in Texas
Zebra Mussel Impacts, Rapid Expansion, and Steps Taken at Gavins Point Dam
Mussel-Related Impacts and Costs at Lower Colorado Dams
Case Studies of Zebra Mussel Control at Raw Water Intakes
Role of Inter-agency Cooperation in AIS Prevention
Mitigating for Zebra Mussels at the Gavins Point National Fish Hatchery
Nebraska Zebra Mussel Management
Zebra Mussel Control Study
Zebra Mussel Impacts at Wolf Creek Generating Station
Zebra Mussels and Asian Clam Progression and Impact in Gavins Point Power House
Media Contact: Chris Hull at Chris.Hull@state.sd.us
Subscribe to news from the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks and receive the latest press releases, upcoming events, programs, projects, regulations changes and more direct to your inbox.